Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Just relax

I hate being told to relax, it is one of my biggest pet peeves.  It gives the automatic impression to me that the person feels I'm overreacting and then makes me want to illustrate what an overreaction really looks like.  I admit that I am a little high strung.  I like things to be well planned and can get a little anxious when things don't go accordingly, but decompress pretty quickly once I get my bearings.  If someone feels the need to tell me to "relax" or "calm down" at that time it irritates me to no end.  It validates my insecurities and reinforces my feeling that I don't have any support.  Especially as a new mother, there are many times I feel flustered, mostly during times when I am outside my comfort zone and trying to navigate a new situation.  The last thing I want to hear when I'm already overheated and stressed is that relaxation is going to help me stop my child from hurting themselves or destroying everything in arms reach.  The worst is being told to relax when I actually feel pretty relaxed and at ease, they feeling dissipates immediately and I end up feeling defensive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment